Paint blisters above shower

Old 02-08-13, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint blisters above shower

About one inch above my tub/shower combo, along all three sides, the paint was blistered. I have scraped and sanded, and the wallboard underneath seems OK. What's the best way to refinish? A) Just paint as is? B) Spread joint compound, prime & paint? C) Put joint tape over damaged area, then spread compound, prime & paint? D) Replace wallbd from shower to ceiling on all three walls (UGG!)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
How rough is the surface? I'm not sure whether you need to mud, that's going to be based on whether you need to smooth things out.

After that, I would prime and then paint with a quality kitchen and bath enamel from a paint store, not a paint department.

Old 02-08-13, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
How old is the house? Do you know what type of paint is under peeled spots? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

It would best to figure out why the paint blistered! Moisture under the paint is the most common cause. It could also be a symptom of latex paint applied directly over oil base enamel. More than likely the fix will include a little mud and sanding.

Old 02-11-13, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The house is 20 yr. old. Can't tell for sure how many coats of paint, but when I scraped & sanded it all came off and I got to clean wallbd. Don't see signs of latex over oil. I have now done mud & sanding and I'm ready to prime. I have some leftover paint & primer in one (Behr). Will that work OK for primer if I put a quality finish paint over it?

Old 02-12-13, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
With the house only being 20 yrs old it's highly likely that the bath rm was painted with latex and not oil base. A separate dedicated primer would be better but I suppose you leftover paint could be used if you thin it 10% Make sure you remove any sanding dust as it will affect adhesion.

Old 02-12-13, 05:37 AM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
This may sound slightly off topic, but if you have access to the backside of the affected area, say via the attic, or whatever, I would inspect it to make sure that it is properly sealed. A poorly sealed waste stack, vent line, or other gap can allow unwanted cool air into cavities, which drives up condensation at the point where the warm moist air from the shower hits those cooler surfaces.