Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

setting a steel tub....is a bed of mortar neccesary?

Old 02-09-13, 08:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is a traditional 5' steel tub made by Bootz. The install directions mentions the tub comes with a leveling pad but makes no mention of a bed of mortar that I have seen mentioned on DIY a few times. If I just follow the mfg's instructions, I won't be doing a bed of mortar. This is my 1st tub install so I thought I would ask you guys for some feedback.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
The mortar is only for the plastic tubs that will flex and crack. No need with a steel tub, esp with the support pad it has.

That said....it probably wouldn't hurt and could help with sound deadening and that tin can sound you can get with steel.

Pro's will be around if they aren't suffering from the storm.

Old 02-09-13, 09:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Thanks GG for the response. I have some leftover fiberglass bats I thought I would put around the underside of the tub for sound deadening and also to provide an insulation effect when the tub is being used for a bath.

Old 02-09-13, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Installing Your New Bootz Bathtub | Bootz Industries - A product line of porcelain-on-steel plumbing fixtures for bath tubs, lavatories and kitchen sinks.

If it does not sit on pad flush I would use a light spray foam. Make sure you weight the tub down so it does not lift. Not a fan of shims......