Help with kitchen.........

Old 02-10-13, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with kitchen.........

Please help me decide what to do with my kitchen area. It is an L shape with kitchen, dining table area, and another part that is kind of like a den/office area. The walls and cabinets are all knotty pine from the 60's. I am thinking about painting it and would like some opinions and ideas. I don't want to to a complete gut and overhaul, but would like some ideas.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-13, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Wow, what nice wood. Too much of it, granted, but nice. I don't think I would paint the walls, but if you could refinish the cabinets and paint them, it may brighten up the room. I am a naildriver, so I don't paint. However, our paint guy, Marksr, will be along after breakfast and will offer more ideas as to what should be done. Overall, it is going to be a personal preference as to how far you take it. Stay tuned.

Old 02-11-13, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I like the wood and wouldn't paint it but not everyone has my tastes

To get a lasting paint job over wood you need to clean, sand and apply a solvent based primer. You can then apply 2 coats of your choice of paint [latex, waterborne or oilbase] IMO enamel is a better choice than flat - easier to clean and doesn't seem to get dirty as fast. If you paint the cabinets you definitely want to use an enamel! waterborne enamel would be my choice.

Old 02-14-13, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you somuch for the input! I'd love to hear more.

Old 02-14-13, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
If you brighten up the cabinets, I'd also look at a granite or solid surface countertop. You could extend it on the penninsula to make sort of a breakfast bar area with some stools. Also, swapping out the one central light in the kitchen for some recessed lights will brighten it up and make it feel like a newer space (though I'm not sure about that ceiling, so I'm not sure how easy that would be)