Bathroom Overhaul Question

Old 02-15-13, 01:18 PM
Bathroom Overhaul Question

Any help will be greatly appreciated:

I have a Master Bath that I want to redo; however due to budgetary constraints I can not get to it, this leaves me with two questions:

1) My Shower Door is failing quickly, I will eventually replace the Shower and the Shower Door, but I need to replace the door now, Assuming the door would fit the new shower would it be a problem to buy a new door now, install it, then later in the year take the door off, put a new shower in and then put that door back in (assuming measurements work and all of that)? Seems like dumb question, but I do not want to buy two doors in the same year if I don't have to.

2) When i get to it, I will be: replacing the floor, shower, shower door, possibly removing the oversized bathtub (losely labeled a Jacuzzi); vanity (sinks and faucets), toilet, remove wall paper and then painting the walls. Pretty much the whole thing. I wanted to do some myself and have some professionals do some things. I am not stupid and I am not going to tackle a job that I won't be able to finish. So my questions are: Can I do this in piecemeal (like the floor now, then the shower in a few months, then the toilet a month later) or is there some problem with not doing it all at once? And, given the items I have provided, in what order should I proceed? It would seem this makes sense, but I have never been a general contractor:

1. remove and replace shower (and door)
2. remove and replace tub/jacuzzi
3. remove vanity
4. install new floor
5. install new vanity & sinks and faucets
6. install new toilet
7. paint

Would this be the proper order?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 08:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Shower doors are usually not interchangeable, so a door that fits the current shower may not fit the next shower. What about a shower curtain, for now?

As for the piecemeal idea, are any of the walls tiled? Same question for the shower & shower pan? What about new piping inside the walls? Can you post some pics?

Old 02-16-13, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are only talking a year or so, I would replace the door with a pressure rod and curtain. As Pulpo said, a new door may not be what you want when you do finally decide to remodel, and that would be money down the drain (no pun intended).

Old 02-26-13, 06:32 PM
Here are two pictues you can see that it is way outdated. Also the third picture with the shower didn't show it is to the side of the toilet in a little cut out area. It is a stand up shower, not a bathtub/shower.

So to rephrase my question can I replace the shower and the shower door before doing all the rest...or is there a reason why I would want to do say...the floor first?

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 02-27-13, 03:40 AM
The one picture we "need" to see didn't work. OK, from verbal description. Yes, you can gut the shower and replace it. There may be the need to remove a few floor tile to get it to fit properly, maybe not. Not a biggie. Your floor will be almost the last thing you will do. Insulate the walls behind the shower if they don't already have it. Upgrade your control valve if you think it is needed while you have it down. Be sure to set the shower pan on a bed of thinset dollops to make the base firmer and to prevent flexing.

Old 03-01-13, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the response.

Do you have tips on the removal of the shower? I am guessing I will have to cut it out as it will not fit out of the door. Suggestions on how to cut it out? Also I have seen shower kits at lowes and hd are these what I should put in? If I am kind of good at home repairs should I do this or should I pay someone? Any suggestions on the shower brand?

Thanks

Old 03-01-13, 03:10 PM
I don't know!!! That was the picture you didn't post !! Generally you have to cut them out with a reciprocating saw. Then remove the pieces. Cut just above the control valve, very shallow, all the way around. One piece. Cut about half way to the floor, shallow cuts. Two pieces. Undo the drain, or cut a hole about 2" around the drain and remove piece #3. This one may need splitting vertically to get it out the door.

Old 03-02-13, 05:24 AM
Sorry about that picture. It is a basic sall shower - 40 inches wide 40 inches deep and 6 feet tall.

I'll try to post that picture.

Final question before I try this: if I use a recipricating saw to cut it out, will it generate a lot of dust?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-13, 07:13 AM
Dust, yeah, fiberglas dust. Wear hearing, eye and respiration protection. Close and tape off the door leading to the rest of your house and if you have a window, open it. Don't turn on the exhaust fan 'cause the dust will clog up the fan blades, and you will have to clean them.