Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to have the range hood vented out in this kitchen?

Old 02-17-13, 01:06 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of buying a house. One house that I am really interested in has a range in the middle of the house. And according to the picture, there is a "beam" (I am not sure whether it is a beam or just some decorative drywall) just up the current range hood.

Since I really want a hood vented out, I was wondering whether it is possible to install the duct inside the "beam" and have the hood vent out through roof. (There is only one floor in the kitchen.) And if it is possible, how much it may cost?

Does anyone have a similar kitchen? I am really eager to learn from your experience.

Name:  厨房水池.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  35.6 KB

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-13, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Looking at the pics which aren't the exact angle we need to see.....I'd say there isn't much of a chance going thru that box to the roof.

However.....if that picture was taken (with the photographer's back) near an outside wall then you might be able to up into that soffit and go right to outside.

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-13, 01:40 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your quick response!

Unfortunately, there is no wall beside that box. You can tell from the picture below.

It seems that the only option is to have a downdraft ventilation and have the duct go through the basement? The crawl space is beneath the kitchen.

Or can I just cut that box above the rangehood and have the duct directly vent out through roof?

Name:  正式餐厅.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 02-17-13, 01:41 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can't tell what's behind your sheetrock, but a buddy had a similar looking setup. In his kitchen the "full height wall"(on the left end in your picture) contained the chimney, and the soffit (sp?) above the cabinets was framed, but mostly hollow/open inside. When he redid his kitchen, he vented the stove/microwave up into the soffit, then turned the duct towards the chimney, then up to the attic, and out. [not in the chimney, but he expanded the wall to accommodate the duct.]

Old 02-17-13, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It would take opening a little inspection hole in the column to see what's in there.

Your other idea about going straight up thru the roof would work. You could use 6" round steel duct and paint it. Would that be something you minded seeing ?

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: