Turning pedestal sink into a vanity

Old 02-19-13, 08:17 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turning pedestal sink into a vanity

Good morning!
Just wondering how difficult it would be to turn this into a vanity. Could I use the top of the pedestal sink for the vanity?
Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9436[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9437[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-13, 08:35 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
You could box off the bottom, but wouldn't gain much.
Might be a cheaper and easier just to replace it and sell or reuse this sink elsewhere.

Old 02-19-13, 08:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Replace it with a vanity and sink top. I did this in my bathroom, hardest part was cutting the baseboard since I did not have a miter saw at the time.

Old 07-13-13, 05:25 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The answers provided so far aren't really answers, but they do provide advice based on the respondents' take on what they've been given.

I too have a pedestal sink, and in this case it is one that's original to the [apartment] building, ca 1935. See pictures. There's no way I'm willingly going to replace it; it's pretty special. For example, there's no "faucet" per se; the water flows from a spout built into the vitreous casting itself.

I'd love to build some sort of vanity cabinet that echoes these deco lines, slightly tapering to the bottom, perhaps with horizontal slats or corrugated plywood, either embracing or challenging the tone set by the sink. I have my own ideas, but in all these years I've never done it because they're rather too labor intensive for me to successfully pull off. I guess. Or it's just fear! But I'd love to see/hear some ideas from others. Hit me. What've you got?

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 6357
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 6272
Size:  23.7 KB

Name:  Image 3.jpg
Views: 6205
Size:  19.2 KB

Old 07-13-13, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In neither instance would I do anything. Pedestal sinks have their place. Making a cabinet for either would detract from the sink's beauty, and would cramp things up between the toilet and the tub. Sorry you didn't like the answers, but that's what you get when you come here. Advice....free and worth every penny of it!

Old 07-13-13, 06:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Never have done that for a pedestal sink but have done it for wall hung sinks updating a bathroom for a landlord with a budget. Modern pedestal sinks are really just wall hung sinks with a decorative pedestal so should work.

However to be clear in the ones I did the top of the sink did not sit flush with the top of the counter. the rim set on top and only the bowl was below the countertop.

Name:  sink.jpg
Views: 6661
Size:  7.6 KB