Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Convert Kitchen Counter from 2cm to 4cm edge? Can this be done?http://www.doityo

Convert Kitchen Counter from 2cm to 4cm edge? Can this be done?http://www.doityo

Old 02-21-13, 02:00 AM

Countertop needs help! I just bought a house and the builder installed a 3/4'' edge instead of a 1.5" edge, so now the countertop (dupont quartz) looks thin and cheap. Is there anything I can do now after the fact to make it look better or thicker? Can I glue the same material to the bottom of the surface to make it have the illusion of thickness? Or is there anything I can do to convert the 3/4'' edge to a 1/5''edge?

Attached Images  

Last edited by stickshift; 02-21-13 at 05:02 AM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-13, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Aside from calling the builder back to make a change, I would call in a countertop professional to examine and give you the options. This is not so much a diy project, as special cutting and fitting tools are required.

Old 02-21-13, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you increase the thickness of the lip, you will run into clearance issues with the drawers on the cabinet. The whole countertop will have to be raised to accommodate any adjustments to thickness.

Old 02-21-13, 06:12 PM
If you increase the thickness of the lip, you will run into clearance issues with the drawers on the cabinet. The whole countertop will have to be raised to accommodate any adjustments to thickness.
It's something to consider, but the upper rail of the face frame on mu base cabinets is wide enough that I could easily add another piece of 3/4" material under the edge of the counter without interfering with the drawers.

Besides, when you say
a 3/4'' edge instead of a 1.5" edge
it sounds like the base cabinets are what they should be and the surface of the counter is where it should be and the only issue is the vertical dimension of the edge. Is that correct or am I missing something? Do you actually need the slabs replaced to do this?

Old 02-21-13, 10:34 PM
The builder pretty much said they wouldn't change it since they would have to eat the loss. I called a few fabricator and they said the edge can be done but it would be messy. I"m looking to build an edge on the counter side which would have enough clearance. So i posted to find out if there's any diy project where i can get the material cut and some how glue it to the existing slab or the ply wood it's sitting on. It's the piece of wood under the counter that bothers me, trying to find a cosmetic fix that would make this seem a thicker or give us the illusion.

Old 03-14-13, 10:14 PM
"laminating" this edge is not a DIY task unfortunately and having a stone company do this in place would be messy.. but completely possible.
What about a black piece of wood to cover it? Or paint it?
I don't think it looks bad... it has a kind of country appeal the way it is.

Old 03-15-13, 06:34 PM
i posted to find out if there's any diy project where i can get the material cut and some how glue it to the existing slab or the ply wood it's sitting on. It's the piece of wood under the counter that bothers me, trying to find a cosmetic fix that would make this seem a thicker or give us the illusion.
Tpns, I hadn't really paid attention to what the granite was sitting on until I read Dbitton's reply. Looking back now at the picture in your first post, I see what looks like a piece of half-round, or some similar piece of trim. that appears to be face-nailed to... a piece of plywood?

If that's what you're concerned about, and if you're still reading this thread, I like the suggestion to paint it black - matte black, that is. Or you could buy different trim, stain it to match, and attach it without the face nails. A square piece of trim, mitered at the outside corners, might create the illusion of a solid slab of wood there, for example.