Prefab Shower Pan Coming Loose

Old 02-24-13, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prefab Shower Pan Coming Loose

Hello,

Hope I am posting this in the right location.

About nine months ago I remodeled my bathroom. I installed a new plywood subfloor, and a prefab neo-angle plastic shower. Before I set the pan, I did a lot of research, and the most common suggestion I could find was to set the shower pan in a bed of mortar on the plywood.

When I set the pan, I tried to make sure the floor was extremely level and flat. I put some weight on the pan for a few days to hold it down while the mortar was set. It turned out nice, and life was good.

Last week as I was showering, I noticed that the corner of the shower opposite the door did not seem firm. Looking closer, the corner has flex to it, enough that I can see the silicon at the joint between the pan and the wall move. There is a little flex elsewhere along the back edges, but most of it is in the corner.

So, two questions:

1. What happened?

2. How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-13, 05:42 AM
Hi Seth - Deadwood fan?

I had a similar problem with a fiberglass shower floor. Shortly after I installed it I noticed the floor flexing in several spots. In my case it was operator error. I used thinset mortar to bed the shower base. I later learned that thinset can shrink as it cures.

I ended up drilling a couple of holes in the sidewall (curb) of the pan and I used a mason's grout bag to fill the accessible voids. It was mostly successful. :0(

Old 02-25-13, 02:22 PM
Love(d) deadwood. Still think they should bring it back. Real name is Pete.

Thanks for the response.

I used the thinset mortar thinking it would be the surest way to keep that thing from moving around.

In my case, I'm remodeling the rest of the rooms around the bathroom, so if need be I can pull some of the drywall off and get at the area that is flexing, from behind.

When you drilled holes and used the grout bag, what did you inject? More thinset?

Anybody else care to weigh in?

Old 02-25-13, 04:36 PM
Pete - When I had the problem with my shower base I came here and asked "what happened" and one of the masons told me that while thinset shrinkage isn't a big deal with tile, when you use it as a thick bedding material it will shrink away from whatever you are trying to support. I ended up using regular mortar mix thinned a bit so it would come out of the bag. After allowing a couple of days to cure the creaks and movement disappeared. When I replaced the shower base a couple of years later I could see several areas where the original thinset was not contacting the base.

I got the Deadwood boxed set for Christmas. I had seen a few episodes of the first season but we gave up HBO and I didn't see the rest. I was really bummed when we finished watching season 3 only to find out they didn't make any more. I spent an hour this past weekend looking up what happened to the real characters like Bullock, Swearingen, Charlie Utter and Sol Starr. Probably my favorite *%^$ *^#@# TV series ever.