Bathroom Remodel

Old 02-26-13, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bathroom Remodel

I am hoping members of this forum can assist with a bathroom remodel question. We will be replacing a very dated surround with a new tub and Corian wall surface for the shower. In addition we are considering using this Corian on the ceiling. Currently the ceiling is standard painted drywall. In addition this 2nd floor bathroom ceiling is directly below my attic. Which is heavily insulated with several inches of blow in insulation.

Here is why I provided the specific details. I have been told to use the Corian as a ceiling finish may not be recommended. The reason being is that with the cold temps of the attic and the warm bathroom air. It's possible I would get mold to develop between (on top) where the Corian is adhered to the current drywall that acts as the ceiling. Due to the fact that that area is not "breathing" and holding moisture.

Not sure if this is valid problem. Or if its recommended to avoid using anything other than drywall as the shower ceiling finish.

Any thought, suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-13, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just as confirmation....you are using Corian for walls and not cultured marble? I've never installed Corian for walls in a shower. Not sure how it would work with dirt smudges, etc. I know that is a problem with countertops sometimes.

It is really going to depend on your vapor barrier system in the attic. Most likely you don't have much of a barrier between the insulation and the ceiling sheetrock. If you do, it probably doesn't extend under the joists, which is where the problem will begin. I tile ceilings in showers all the time, but never leave the sheetrock. I replace it with concrete backer underlayment. By removing the sheetrock, you could install a vapor barrier, then cbu, then your corian, if the adhesive will hold it.

Old 02-27-13, 06:09 AM
Chandler,

To confirm yes it is Corian that will be used for the wall surfaces and possibly the ceiling as we have planned now. Additionally there is definitely no vabor barrier between the sheetrock and the attic/insulation. The (blow-in) insulation is simply on top of the drywall acting as the batroom ceiling.

From your comments it appears that having something other than sheetrock is not uncommon as a ceiling surface? That based on your mention of having tiled numerous ceilings before. Understanding the concrete backer is more or less a requirement for tile. I am not sure if Corian would adhere to this product. I would also need to verify if the current sheetrock is being replaced or will remain in place.

My question relating to your replacement of drywall in your tiling situatons. How do you prevent a huge mess of insulation dropping into the bathroom when the drywall is removed? If I am seeing this properly. In my situation removal of the shower area drywall would lead to A LOT of blow-in (6+ in) insulation all dropping to the bathroom when that section is removed. In your situations have you seen the "mold issue" become a problem for customers? Or instead is this more hype than a problem.

Although I understand the reason for removal of drywall (and it may be necessary- not sure). I am not seeing a pleasant experience with the insulation above when/if that section is removed.

Thanks for your time and comments.

Old 02-27-13, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
With blown insulation above the ceiling I'd remove that drywall only as a last resort. If there is enough access in the attic you could rake it up and bag it. I've never heard of anyone using corian in a shower but I do know I wouldn't want drywall behind it on the walls - if any of the joints ever leak, the drywall will suck up the moisture like a sponge.

Old 02-27-13, 10:26 AM
To further clarify the Corian is being used as a (shower) wall surface in place of a tile or simlar product. Once the current surrond is removed the appropiate surface will be installed to allow for the Corian walls. The only drywall aspect involved is what's now the current ceiling. This area we are considering adding Corian too also (as Chandler mentione he has done tile on). This would give a more "complete" look and give a complete maintainance free shower.

The issue was whether this Corian could be applied to the current (ceiling) drywall. Which I have heard differing opinions on. One concern was the possibility of mold due to temp difference with the attic directly above what would be a Corian ceiling. However, I am not sure if that's a real issue to be concerned about.

With that said marksr I am in agreement. Althoght the attic is accessable removing the blown-in insulation is NOT my first choice and I would really like to avoid it. But obviously I don't want to create further problems by adding the Corian as a ceiling finish.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-27-13, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I haven't looked, does the Corain (DuPont?) website address installation in a shower?

Old 02-27-13, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I just looked and I cannot see anything about installing over drywall, only over 'stable tile':
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Comm...r_Surround.pdf

Old 02-27-13, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How do you prevent a huge mess of insulation dropping into the bathroom when the drywall is removed
Go up into the attic and move the insulation to the side, remove the drywall, install the cbu, then return the insulation to it's place.

I would not install the Corian over sheetrock. Sheetrock is the weakest member in your team, and if it were to get wet or if moisture becomes an issue, it will fail.

Old 02-27-13, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Shower ceilings don't usually get wet or minimally as most just have latex paint on the drywall for protection..... and that rarely causes a problem.

Larry, do you think the corian will sweat? Otherwise I don't really see moisture being an issue.
Don't beat me up too bad, remember I'm just a dumb old painter