Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Resurfacing old 70's simulated marble vanity tops

Resurfacing old 70's simulated marble vanity tops

Old 02-27-13, 07:25 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Resurfacing old 70's simulated marble vanity tops

Is this possible? I don't know exactly what type of material this is, but there are wavy green marbly looking patterns with predominantly white color around the green wavy/swirly stuff on the top of the vanity and it is a glossy finish. Underneath this top cosmetic stuff it appears to be some sort of ceramic or stone looking material that is very brittle and extremely heavy and its just plain flat white looking. The sinks have a sea shell shape and are all-in-one included with the vanity top for a seamless design. We have another vanity like this but instead of the green wavies, its blue wavies/swirlys.

Anyway, most of the vanity tops are still in good condition, but the sinks themselves have lost a lot of top material and its begun to erode off from years of wiping it clean and washing hands. Is there any material or method used to refill this top coat and then finish it back to glossy look again?

We have been looking for a long time at vanity options and all are very expensive and I'm trying to save my parents a lot of money because they are recovering their home from the flood of Hurricane Isaac in 8/2012. If refinishing the sinks/vanity tops isn't that hard, I'd like to go that route.

Hope someone can help me.

Old 02-27-13, 08:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Tops I have seen like that appeared to have been made in a mold and the decorative layer is just that, a think decorative layer on top of the base material. I'm afraid repairing or somehow restoring it to an original like appearance is probably a time consuming and expensive process. Basically antique restoration where someone manually matches colors and paints on the faux finish. Another option would be to look at a counter resurfacing kit. Basically you apply an epoxy paint layer to the entire vanity and sink. It would not look like the original but would provide a clean and uniform surface that should hold up for several years with care.

Old 02-27-13, 08:36 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

Do you have an example kit I would use? I'll be filling cracks that are like 1/16 to 1/8 inch deep and of various widths.

I'm not concerned with color matching, so much as I am just filling in and repairing the sink portion because that is where all the damage is. If I could fill in those cracks, buff, seal and buff again to make a glossy top... thats what I'm looking for.

Old 02-27-13, 09:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Just do a search for "counter resurfacing kit" and you'll see many options. You can also check in the paint department at your local home center.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: