Breakfast Bar tips and ideas needed please!!

Old 02-27-13, 12:10 AM
Breakfast Bar tips and ideas needed please!!

I am wishing to add a breakfast bar to my kitchen area. I live in a small (650 sq') condo and a breakfast bar would not only assist in creating a dining space but I am hoping it can double as a desk area. I am very much wishing to have a bar that has a piece of rustic wood or I can go solid piece of wood in perhaps a pale birch colour. I am wanting to do this on my own as I believe I can save a bit of money doing so. Just really after tips and possibly creative ideas. I have never done this before so all information is tremendously helpful!

I am not new to the industry of carpentry/building, as I built four homes when I was married, from the ground up. I am VERY new to anything on my own though.

Cheers for your time!!

Keira

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-13, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Keira!

The 1st thing you need to do is figure out how much space you can dedicate to the bar. Will this be an island or added onto existing cabinetry?

I'd search for a bar style I liked and then see if that will work in your kitchen. Once you figure out what you want, we can talk you thru the building process...... if you need us to

Old 02-27-13, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your reply Mark!

I have an existing Island (I have taken pictures) not sure how to add them. I am wanting to add to the other side of the Island away from the main kitchen area. I have 5 feet, length wise, to work with and a fair bit of space depth wise. I am really just wanting to have something that is a bit outside the box. In a tiny condo I am hoping to be a bit innovative. I have done some research but am now stuck as there is SO much information out there. I am ready to build so your help from this point forward is really appreciated!! )

Old 02-27-13, 09:45 AM
PS...I am hoping to gain insight into things such as...if I use wood for the counter, what would be the best kind of sealer to use that will stand the test of time and make the wood not susceptible to stains etc. I am really into the Norwegian look or Scandinavian look of pale timber. (I am aware of how nooby I sound hahaha....hence reaching out for help!!)

Old 02-27-13, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Old 02-27-13, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Polyurethane is the most widely used finish for interior wood. The oil base dries to a harder film than the water based does. The oil poly deepens the colors naturally in the wood and will amber some as it ages. Personally I like that look but if you are looking to keep it light, a water based poly might be a better choice. I'd test the oil poly on some scrap wood before I'd commit to water based poly.

Old 02-27-13, 09:58 AM