Replacing 36" cooktop

Old 03-02-13, 01:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing 36" cooktop

I am trying to replace my old and broken 36" electric cooktop with a built-in downdraft. Would love to have induction, but don't see any available with downdrafts. Wondering if I could have a 30" cooktop installed with a separate downdraft acting as a fill kit? Anybody ever heard of anything like that? Gas isn't an option because of cabinet placement. Overhead hood I'm guessing would involve removal of tile and running lots of new duct work. My least favorite choice is a glasstop with built in downdraft - I suspect that if I don't want to get into pretty major renovation that's the route I am going to have to go, but wanted to see if anyone here had any great alternative ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-13, 05:32 PM
If your cooktop is on an outside wall, running duct outside for an overhead exhaust is not a big deal. As an electrician, I get stuck installing range hoods and electric cooktops all the time. I don't like down drafts. If you have no other option, ok. In reality they are limited in what they can vent. If you get some smokey meals, forget it.

Old 03-03-13, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What about a recirculating hood, especially since you aren't using gas?

Old 03-04-13, 06:40 PM
Good thoughts!

I may check into those two solutions. It is on an external wall. I'm guessing that a recirculating one would be cheaper overall (due to installation) and less effective. I cook A LOT, but honestly don't have an issue very often that can't be handled with my existing downdraft/patio door combo. Thank you for your good ideas . . . now to research vents.