Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to tile over a narrow nail flange AND tile over drywall !!!

Old 03-07-13, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I installed a shower insert. On one end the nail flange goes almost to the wall. I was going to install cement board, thinset and cut tile for this. But I'm not sure that is the best idea anymore. I'm concerned about that cracking over time and the area being so small (only about 3 inches).

Any ideas on what I can do here?

Last question! Will thinset work when putting tile over a small area of drywall?

Thanks!

Attached Images   

Last edited by jrwpmw; 03-07-13 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fix pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-13, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thinset should be applied to backer board or a masonry substrate, not to drywall. If you really want tile here you should hang it with adhesive, then grout and caulk it.

I don't know what your finished design is. If it's the smooth painted surface that's on the wall now, I would plaster and paint this narrow area to match that.

Old 03-08-13, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would finish the drywall as Bill says and paint it. Then apply ripped bullnose tile to fit over the cbu strip along side the tub surround. You will need to address the top return of bullnose unless you are going all the way to the ceiling (preferred).

Old 03-08-13, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks and a few more questions

That does sound easier and better.

Stupid question (I have not done much drywall work). Should I cut a thin strip of drywall, screw it over the flange, tape/mud? Or is there an easier way?

Also, (see background of attached pic). I am going to tile up 4' of the wall (unlrealted to the shower), 2' is cement board, 2' drywall. Say a tile overlaps that transition area, should I use thin set for the part of the tile on the cement board and adhesive for the tile on the drywall?

Last question - any recommendations for a good tile adhesive? I went to the local Home Depot previously and ask about some type of adhesive for drywall/tile. The guy said they didn't have anything and that thinset would work, but I was never sure of that!

Old 03-08-13, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I would remove the drywall and use cement board up to 3' 10". Tape and mud the seam where the two meet and tile over the last 2 inches with your bullnose. The mud job need not be perfect as you will cover it up. Ditch the box store and head to a tile store and ask for wall thinset. It is stickier than normal thinset and prevents sagging of the tile when doing walls. Two that I know of and have used are Ultra Light and one is called LFT (Large Format Tile) Both are made by Mapei.

As you already have installed some cement board, when you add another 2' make sure you tape and thinset the joints between the two pieces. They make a fiberglass mesh tape designed for cement board that should be used for all seams and corners.

Old 03-08-13, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just want to highlight something here:

As you already have installed some cement board, when you add another 2' make sure you tape and thinset the joints between the two pieces.
Thinset, not joint compound, is used for the mud joints on cement board.