Reglazing cast iron tub.

Old 03-09-13, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reglazing cast iron tub.

I have been doing some research on reglazing bathroom tub.The tub is in excellent shape it's just a 60ish color& i saw this on one of the remodeling shows on TV.
It's a several coat process which recommended using the spray method but could be done using brush or roller but not recommended.The research i did recommended a sprayer like used for spying car with good ventilation & breathing mask.You can buy it in a kit with paint being in a spray can or another kit with paint being in a can for spray gun.I am pretty handy at doing things so i believe can do this if recommended by everyone if not i will follow everyone's advice.
Thanks for your advice & help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I have seen very good results with spraying the tubs. but I have never done it. In fact they were all done professionally by the ones I say. I believe it was around the $500 range.

I did see a painted one with a brush by a homeowner and it was not pretty.

Old 03-10-13, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
DIY painting of bath tubs has a bad track record. The #1 reason is improper or lack of prep. The tub has to be clean!! You also want to disconnect the drain cover. I don't know how much difference there is between the coatings that are available to homeowners and what the pros use.

Spraying will always look better than brushing but a lot depends on the brush and the applicator's skill.