Help with bathtub installation...

Old 03-20-13, 12:49 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with bathtub installation...

I've purchased an acryllic tub and am putting into a 3 wall alcove. Tub has integrated tile flange on 3 sides and no front apron. I intend to frame and tile the front of the tub area and need to ensure it is flush to the front lip of tub given limited space next to the bathtub. See the attached pics for how I'd like the tub to look.

My issue is that due to the narrow tup liip, a typical 2X4 frame with 1/2 inch backerboard would create a significant ledge. I basically have 1.5 inches to work with (including tiles).

I'm considering either building a frame with 1X4 to support the front lip and then using 1/4 inch Hardiboard as the surface to tile on but am concerned the frame won't have the strength to deal any flex on the front ledge should someone sit on it (should be minimal given other 3 sides screwed into walls).

Other option I can see is using a single piece 1/2inch plywood which would be supported only on the bottom by a 2X4 and either side of the tub. I'd then use something to seal the plywood so that the tile takes to it. Would this be any stronger than the 1X4 frame option? This was the method suggested by the "help" people at Azzura but they also suggested I ask my contractor (I don't have one and will be doing the install myself).

Appreciate any advice or other ways to go about this.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-13, 12:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would build a 2x4 wall under the lip (yes, it would stick into the room) - I would think you would want the width and support for sitting on the edge of the tub.

Old 03-20-13, 01:25 PM
H
Thanks Mitch. I was hoping to be able to do without given it will be primarily a shower but it seems I may have no other choice. The wife isn't going to be happy...

Old 03-20-13, 01:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
People sit on the front edge of a tub all the time, I would explain to her that she wouldn't be happy if you didn't give her a surface deep enough for that.

Diplomacy: The art of letting someone else have your way.

Old 03-20-13, 02:02 PM
H
Indeed... Although I best be careful or she'll interpret it as me telling her she has a big butt...

Old 03-20-13, 02:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Nope, you phrase it that the tub edge is so narrow it would hurt; nothing to do with butt size.