Repairing cracks in solid surface counter top

Old 03-30-13, 10:31 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing cracks in solid surface counter top

A crack has developed in our solid surface counter top in the corner of the cutout where the range is installed. It's a slide in range so there is weight on the cutout edges. The solid surface is 1/2 inch thick. Is there an epoxy or other special adhesive I can use to 'heal' the crack? How do I make the repair un-noticeable?

Ralph

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-13, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Ralph, welcome to the forums! The solid surface can be repaired, but unless you address WHY it cracked, it will not do any good. Slide in ranges are terribly heavy, and all the weight bears on the edge of the countertop. I just removed one for a client on Friday and the weight of the stove caused the side walls to collapse and the lip (very small lip) had started to fall down into the opening. I'd say she had another month before the whole thing fell through.

With that said, and I don't know why it isn't done, slide in ranges need bottom support at the back as well as the front. Making a "stand" for it to sit on at the same height as the kick in the front will make the weight thingy a non issue. Once you have removed the stove and built your support, then you can make repairs to the solid surface. Finding a matching color of product may be your biggest challenge. If you can find it, then scoring the crack and putting the epoxy on allowing it to cure, then taking it down with an ever decreasing grit of paper on a random orbit sander will result in an almost unnoticeable repair. Your last paper will probably be in the 2000 grit range.