Moving a Cast Iron Tub

Old 04-09-13, 03:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a Cast Iron Tub

Hi, I am in the process of helping my Dad do a full bathroom renovation and we have run into a bit of a problem and could use some suggestions. We need to move the cast iron tub to replace the sub-floor beneath it. The house is from 1908 with a tile floor. The mortar base is a disaster and must come up. It is mostly gravel at this point where I was able to remove the bulk of it with just a shovel. I was originally planning on leaving whatever was under the tub but after seeing the condition I feel it must go. The problem is they don't want to replace the tub, otherwise a sledge and 20 minutes would solve the problem. I can shift the tub myself with just my 3ft crow bar. I was thinking that if I can get a few 2x4's under it I should be able to slide it over enough to replace that portion, then slide back. Am I underestimating the weight of this thing? Any other suggestions as to how I can move forward? I might be able to get a third set of hands but as of right now it is just my Dad and I. I was also considering trying to roll it on its side but am concerned that the side wall is not strong enough to support the weight. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 03:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I can pick up one end of a cast iron tub. I place a scrap of plywood down near one end. Lift it up and kick the ply under the feet. Then go to the other end and pivot it over as far as I can, about 3 or 4 feet. If I was thinking ahead there is another scrap of plywood waiting and I set the end down on it. It's a bit of back and forth but it's not particularly difficult especially since you don't care about the current floor. When moving it back in over good floor just make sure you never slide the tub on the finished floor. Always have something under the feet. Then once it's in position lift it up and pull out your protective sheeting.

Wheels make everything easier. Furniture dollies and old skate boards can also be helpful if you have them lying around. Best is if you can lift the tub up and kick a furniture dolly under the center. If it's not high enough stack boards on until it's supporting at least part of the tub's weight.

Old 04-10-13, 01:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I definitely cannot pick this one up on my own. I have a buddy coming by in a little while to help. I think my plan is as follows...
cut some 2x4's to straddle the two adjoining floor joists.
Roll tub on to its side, on to the 2x4.
Slide to the other end of the bathroom to give me the most working room.
Remove and replace flooring
Replace tub.

My only concern is scratching the finish on the tub but am hoping that it won't incur too much damage. I will find out in a little while how solid my plan is. Wish me luck!