Drop in tub mortar method.

Old 04-11-13, 04:52 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drop in tub mortar method.

I am going to use the mortar method of securing a drop in tub to the subfloor. The tub has four small legs on the bottom that the tub will rest on. My question is should the legs rest on the subfloor or should they rest on a cushion of morter and let the morter dry underneath? My feeling is that it should rest on the subfloor due to possible shrinkage of the mortar might create some gaps under these footings. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 05:05 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The most reliable way to install anything, is to follow the manufacturers recommenced method of install. Most tubs, shower surrounds, shower bases, etc. come with detailed instructions on the proper method of installation. What is the brand, make and model number of the tub you wish to install?

Old 04-11-13, 05:11 PM
E
Its a Kohler Devonshire but the instructions are silent on whether the posts should "float" in the mortar or rest firmly on the subfloor. I got advice from a plumber who recommended that I set the framing about 1 inch above the height that would make the posts rest on the subfloor and let the mortar cure around and underneath the posts. Seems risky to me that the mortar would cure tight enough around the posts and some play might result and also put stress on the lip of the tub that rests on the frame.

Old 04-11-13, 05:33 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Kohler recommends 2 different ways to install this tub. One is a mortar bed and two is to apply construction adhesive to the feet. Here is the link to the install specs. http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1084213_2.pdf

Old 04-11-13, 05:37 PM
E
You arent replying to my question.

Old 04-11-13, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Your plumber friend is right from how I did it back when. To prevent the shrinkage issue you think you may have I believe is from the mortar drying too fast... What to do????

Add lime.... Well that's what I did anyway. Probably mixed about 25 lbs or so in with the mortar. Not too wet/soupy either. Kind of dry really. But that was doing a big cast iron whirlpool jaczzi.

Put some under each leg and make a type of bowl for the center... ( So it mushes out.)

Like I said that's how I did them. I was taught that 25 years ago when I did my first one with an old timer.....

I think your worrying too much with that tub... IMO and if its not cast iron my choice would be spray foam 100%. If you go that route there are several things to consider.....

Old 04-12-13, 08:56 AM
E
Good deal. Seems easier than trying to get real precise with the frame.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-13, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
What did you decide? Foam? ( not cast iron right?)

Low pressure foam and weight tub down severely.....Otherwise will lift off floor....