Built it Vanity

Old 04-13-13, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Built it Vanity

Hello all,

I am remodeling a very small (3' x 8') half bath. Everything is finished except for my vanity that I am building myself. Since it's so small, the vanity is going to go wall to wall on one end of the bathroom. I already installed base molding, so my question is, should the vanity legs be flush to the molding and then have the countertop be flush to the wall so there will be a gap between the legs and wall or should I cut the molding and have the legs be flush to the wall and the molding butt up against the front of the leg? This is probably purely an aesthetic decision but any input/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Not sure I'm picturing this right - in my bathroom, I cut the baseboard so it ended at the vanity so the vanity could be flush against the wall. Sounds like you have a different design, though - is yours sitting on four legs instead of the standard base cabinet style?

Old 04-13-13, 09:31 AM
Yes, it will be on 4 legs, with an open shelf very near the bottom and cabinet doors about 6 inches above that. Quick Google image search... and it would look something like this vanity from Pottery Barn except with straight legs instead of the fancier lathed leg.

Old 04-13-13, 09:31 AM
Post deleted after seeing pics of vanity design.

Old 04-13-13, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Not sure I completely understand the question
I'd want the top to go wall to wall so there is no gap but the legs would come in a little bit both for looks and cleaning.

Old 04-13-13, 02:41 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It depends on the size of your vanity feet. Do they interfere with the base molding? If they clear the molding and as it is open, the base molding would go completely to the back wall and across the back wall and back on the other side. If the feet do not clear the molding you would have to stop at the molding, start back up behind the molding, across the back wall, return to the molding and skip the feet and start again into the room.

If the feet partially clear the molding you may have to notch the molding to inset the feet but continue the molding all the way around.