Bathroom walls question.

Old 04-14-13, 06:32 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom walls question.

Hello,

First time homeowner and first time posting on this forum. I just bought a new house and I guess the previous owners decided not to replace the wax seal on their toilet... ever. I guess they were happy with a gallon of water leaking into the basement every time they flushed the toilet. So I ripped out the 12 layers of floor and tile that were currently in the bathroom and put in all new flooring. (SnapStone is the shiz btw)

Anyway, the wall tiles are not in the best condition either. I was just wondering if I needed tile at all or if I could just put up some regular ol' drywall? The tile in the tub area looks fine so I am going to leave that alone.

The reason I ask is because the toilet flange pipe is too close to the wall, and the toilet cannot sit there properly without the tile behind the toilet backing gone. So instead of a hole in the tile, I would like to have the whole bathroom just drywalled and leave it at that. Is this a problem because of moisture?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-13, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you have removed the wall tile, you can reinstall sheetrock alone. I would replace with green moisture/mold resistant sheetrock, since the area you describe is behind the toilet, etc. No greenboard in shower or wet areas, as they will require concrete backer underlayment.