Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Question about using beadboard on the ceiling in the shower

Old 04-15-13, 08:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are installing bead board on the ceiling in the bathroom. Can we use this above the shower area? Should I seal it somehow? It is pre-painted, sealed already. We have a good fan and window in the bathroom for ventilation so I don't think it will be a big deal. Just thought I would ask. Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 11:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What is the bead board made off? real wood or a composite? Bead board wouldn't be my ideal choice anywhere the shower steam could get to it.

Old 04-15-13, 12:03 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi cmc,
It might look sealed, but moisture can pass right through most paints at some level. Behind the bead board you will need a vapor barrier and although that can prevent the moisture from going beyond the bear board, it leaves it trapped in the wood. A tiny hole can allow moisture in, but it is difficult for that moisture to escape via the same path.

Wood is also food for mold. I wouldn't be very optimistic about the longevity of this approach.

Bud

Old 04-15-13, 12:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm with Mark, I would not use it. That said, if you do use it, a couple of coats of kitchen and bath enamel on it after installation would be a good idea.