Wall prep in the new shower

Old 04-17-13, 11:26 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall prep in the new shower

Planning the new tile shower. I've installed 1/2" hardibacker board in the shower, and mold resistant drywall everywhere else
What mortar/thinset product do I use to fill the seams in the Hardibacker board, and what do I use to fill the seam between the Hardiebacker and the drywall?

I would like to use either the Kerdi membrane on the walls, or the Redgard product after the mortar/thinset has cured. Preference?

I've seen different opinions on many websites, but want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance for your input! Oh, and free beer for you if you're around the KC area

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 03:27 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Use mesh tape set in a mortar bed for all seams and corners between sections of cement board. Mesh tape specific for cement board can be found along side the drywall mehs tapes in the big box stores. The kerdi membrane and redgard products in my opinion would be redundant and of no added value. Is there a vapor barrier behind the hardi-backer?

Old 04-18-13, 08:52 AM
C
Ok, so mesh tape specific for concrete board in the seams. What kind of mortar are you recommending? I've heard latex-fortified mortar, and 1:1 portland cement.
Yes, there's is a vapor barrier behind both the Hardibacker and the drywall, 7.5 mil.

Old 04-18-13, 09:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Not my area of expertise but unless I'm mistaken most use thinset.

Old 04-18-13, 09:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Thinset would be my call as well. Mastic is typically used for putting tile on a wall but it's contraindicated in a wet environment like a shower.

Old 04-18-13, 03:52 PM
Any basic thinset will work to inbed the mesh tape and affix it to the cement board. This should be done at all seams and corners. The mesh tape comes with one side sticky, like tape, so that you can press it up onto the cement board before you cover with a thin coat of thinset.

When you get ready to tile the walls, go to a tile store and ask for a no sag wall thinset. It will prevent sagging of the tile while the thinset hardens. Two that I have used are Ultra Lite and LFT (large format tiles) by mapei. Would recommend both.

Old 04-21-13, 10:03 AM
C
Thanks guys! Appreciate the input.

Old 04-22-13, 06:00 AM
C
Thinset type

Chances are I'm picking this up at Home Depot, any particular brand you prefer over the other? Pre-mixed or mix it yourself?

Old 04-22-13, 06:15 AM
For me, always mix yourself. Ready mix is not approved for wet locations. I offered some suggestions earlier. I never purchase from the box stores. Don't know how long it has been sitting either in a warehouse or on the pallet at the store.

Once I was in a pinch as it was on the weekend and I need to proceed with renovations to a house with only one bath. I did not want to delay the homeowners any more than needed, so I purchased from Big Box and proceeded with the tile work. The mix was lumpy, not smooth and difficult to work with. I ended up returning most of it on Monday morning and going to my tile store who purchased direct from the manufacturer.