Height of counters/peninsula & wall

Old 04-20-13, 07:49 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Height of counters/peninsula & wall

We downsized to a smaller home, good price but the home needed lots of work. I just finished redoing the bathroom, now I'm trying to plan the kitchen. I'm in the early stages, lots of work to do. One of the first things I want to do is to take down part of a wall separating the living room from the kitchen to help open it up.

I want to keep part of the wall up and the advice I'm seeking is how high should that wall be? One of the things that might be a determinant is the height of a peninsula that I'm going to put in. First of all, the majority of the kitchen will have standard height counters - 36". I can make that peninsula the same height, but I'm also thinking of more of a bar height (42") to give me more storage underneath. So the question is, do you think that having a peninsula higher than most of the counters will look out of place?

Here's something that can play into the decision. Below is a picture of my living room facing the kitchen. Like I said, I'll be taking down part of the wall, leaving a wall that rises to the height of the sofa or just beyond. So what I'm trying to show in the colors is the part of the wall that will be taken down. The yellowish color (#1) is the section that I would take down if I left the half wall up 42" - the same height of the peninsula if I make it 42". The light blue (#2) is if I leave it 36", countertop height. On the opposite side of the remaining wall will be cabinets - they can be either 42" or 36" depending on what I do with the wall. The colors 3 & 4 don't play into the decision, we just need to decide whether or not to extend the wall opening to include a staircase to the basement.

So the question is - should the wall, cabinets & peninsula all be the same height (36") or would the wall & the peninsula at 42" be out of place? Perhaps another factor is the peninsula will be used for eating - we'll be getting stools in the appropriate height for the peninsula.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can get stools for either height, so that's not an issue.

The most common solution is to build all of the working surfaces at 36" and to add a raised portion along one side, like a stair-step, for the seating portion.