Co-op job

Old 05-04-13, 03:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Co-op job

I have a job in manhattan where the customer has a tile surround for the tub. The tile is falling off a bit and they want to replace it. I obviously suggested taking it all off and pitting up rock and re-tiling it. The board said that if we rip walls all plumbing needs to be changed to the riser. We got a quote of 9,100$ to change the piping lol!! My question is can I screw durock straight onto the tile and just go over? I know I can tile over the tile but I'm not sure off the strength of the old tile. I want to durock over and then tile it. Any have any suggestions? I think the faucets and am everything will still work.
Thanks guys/gals

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-13, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What plumbing are they talking about? Why does it need to be changed? If it is their plumbing, it should be at their expense. It is inside THEIR walls. If the building was approved for your customer to live in, what difference does it make if you make a cosmetic change to the face of the tub surround? Sounds like you have a very politically motivated coop, who may be getting a kick back from licensed entities.

Now to your suggestion. Nope. Nothing will change below the tile, and any disintegration of the substrate (which is probably sheetrock) won't get better with time. You also have the problem of relief. It will stick out further than the original tile and will cause problems with the tub lip.

I would find out the "whys" on plumbing replacement first to see what the complaint is. They obviously know something is awry, and are planning on passing that cost on to your customer. Shady at best.

Old 05-04-13, 04:45 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You also would not be able to attach the trim around the valve if it was built out that far.