Gray Mortar White Marble

Old 05-05-13, 09:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gray Mortar White Marble

I recently installed some white marble tile and used gray mortar because I did not know I was supposed to use white. After grouting one wall, you can now see discolored circles in the middle of the tiles (see attached picture). I called the tile store and they said that this is the gray mortar showing through the tile. Is there any way to fix this? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening on the other walls that are set but not grouted? For some reason, the tiles that are set in the gray mortar but not grouted still look normal.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-13, 09:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It was the thinset you used, not the grout. You should have used the white thinset. I would have used 1/8" joint lines and unsanded grout, too. Maybe some of the others will have a solution. The only one I have is remove it and do it right. What did you use for grout, BTW? It looks splotchy.

Old 05-05-13, 09:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is definitely the thin set that is the issue. I am just wondering why it didn't show up before I started grouting and if there is maybe some way to protect the non-grouted tiles from doing the same thing. Also, is the material already ruined or can it be reused?

I used premixed Polyblend grout from Home Depot

Old 05-05-13, 09:44 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It may even itself out over time as things cure and dry out. This conclusion is based on otherwalls that do not have the same appearance. Only this one that has been grouted. I think the excessive water used during the grouting process is the culprit. Give it a day or two and see if things even out.