Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Best way to patch up cracks in between shower tiles/tub and wall?

Old 05-09-13, 01:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
This is my first post. I am renting in a townhouse. Our rent is fairly low because apparently the household is "low maintenance". So I want to fix anything myself that I can.

I just moved in, and noticed in the shower, there are cracks in the caulk that is in between the tiles (?or is it called grout) as well as in between the tubs edges and floor/walls. I used "GE Silicone II 9.8-oz. Clear Kitchen and Bath Caulk" to caulk some open edges where the shower head met the wall (looks like dry wall? but I'm not sure). Can I use this product to fill in the gaps and cracks as shown in the photos? It looks like this is what the landlord chose to do before (and not a great job), because as shown in another photo, you can see white slathered over top of the gaps in between tile and where it didn't completely cover. Can I also use this product in the cracks between the tub and floor/shower tiles?

Also, there is rust around the metal piece in the tub (see photo for better description) and there has been a clear sealant of some kind placed over the rust. However when I took a bath some of the sealant floated off, so now it can continue to rust. Can I just purchase a clear waterproof sealant of some kind from home depot and patch over it again?

Thanks!!

Attached Images     

Last edited by jaykay; 05-09-13 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot photos
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-13, 03:33 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The old grout between the tiles needed to be removed long ago by the looks of it and new unsanded grout installed. After a few days the grout needs to be sealed.
At the tub to tile gap, new silicone will not stick to old, all the old caulking needs to be scraped off.
It's best to fill the tub 1/2 full of water before caulking. Caulk then wait 24 hours before draining the tub.
As far as the rust once it starts it's hard to stop it without getting the tub refinished by a pro.
Short of that I'd remove the over flow cover, sand off the rust and use some enamel appliance paint.
It's going to still show but may slow down the rust.

Old 05-29-13, 04:37 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only place silicone caulking would be used is at the tub to tile seam. All the old has to be 100% removed first. Old will not stick to new.
It's best to fill the tub up 1/2 way with water, do the caulking, wait 24 hours then drain the tub.
Any loose grout needs to be removed, new grout then sealed after it's hardened.