Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What to do with stairwell intrusion into a kitchen

Old 05-19-13, 09:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are trying to finalize our kitchen layout. One of the stumbling points is what to do with a stairwell wall "intrusion" on one corner as shown in the layout below. We are thinking of adding an appliance garage on the wall adjacent to the cooktop counter. Just curious to know what other suggestions are out there.

Thanks!
BB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-13, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
Appliance garage ? Is that a cabinet to put small appliances into for storage ?

It's very hard to tell how the stairs impact the kitchen. Do they actually come out in the kitchen. I see a base cabinet blocking half of it.

Old 05-20-13, 06:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That landing area at the bottom of the stairs needs to be at least the same length as the width of the stairs.
Drawing may not be to scale, but it looks like there's not enough room.

Old 05-20-13, 08:12 AM
B
Sorry, I don't think I provided enough info. The stairs are going down and the landing is below the kitchen (the stairs have really nothing to do with the kitchen, other than that the stairwell intrudes into it's space). I've seen other instances were people made use of "dead space" in the stairwell for small closets/shelving. The stairwell ends up with a partially sloped ceiling further down. I've only shown part of the stairs.

BB

Old 05-20-13, 09:03 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Instead of an appliance garage which will render your countertop useless, Why not go with a 24" deep cabinet over the refrigerator and then carry that to a 24" deep tall pantry that goes all the way to the to the stairway wall. You can do a traditional base and upper at the door entry to the kitchen rather than the pantry. Here is a similar layout that I did in one of my kitchen remodels.

Name:  PICT0571.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 05-20-13, 12:18 PM
B
I understand how a "traditional" appliance garage renders counter top space useless (or at least less useful) but I'm having a hard time not seeing how we are just using otherwise "dead space". I posted a couple more pics (ok, should have done that in the beginning!) to hopefully illustrate the opportunity better. These photos are taken in a kitchen that is in a long and drawn-out remodeling process which, overall, is working for us as it give us opportunity to reevaluate along the way (which is exactly what I'm doing). As you can see from the photo in the kitchen, there is a "chunk" taken out of the corner where the stairwell protrudes into the kitchen. The other photo just shows what the stairwell looks like (the corner you are looking "into" is the one that protrudes into the kitchen). I realize that if absorb some of this space into the kitchen, it will require a slanted "ceiling" in the stairwell to frame and make it look nice from the stairwell side. What I am thinking at the moment is to put in a "garage" that opens to the counter that goes to the stove area. It would have a "roll-up" door or something where you could slide appliance in and out of and have electrical. Just looking for either validation or other ways to use this otherwise dead space.

Thanks,
BB
Name:  20130520_115537.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  13.4 KBName:  20130520_115514.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  32.8 KB

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-13, 04:02 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Add some measurements to your drawing to get us on the same page as to how much room we are looking at. Distance from door to corner in question and then overall length and width of the whole kitchen.

Old 05-20-13, 06:53 PM
B
Here's a larger portion of the layout and some dims. The "doorway" doesn't actually have a door, it's about a 38" entry way. In case the dims are too small to read, the "height" is 12' 6", "width" is 14' 9", and the pantry/fridge/short counter wall is 8' 9". The protrusion of the stairwell into the kitchen is about 30" x 48".

Thanks,
BB

Name:  house layout - kitchen.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  27.1 KB

Attached Images  
Old 05-22-13, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What if you remove the portion of the stairwell walls above base cabinet height, frame in a beam from the end of the stove wall to the hallway wall at that height and frame up to the ceiling from there? Then you could extend your counter and wall cabinets to the wall behind the fridge - and turn the corner? Maybe cover the remaining lower portion of the original wall that's exposed with wood to match the base cabinets?

Would that leave enough headroom going down the stairs?

Old 05-22-13, 08:38 PM
B
There's plenty of headroom on the stairwell, it would just have to be a slanted ceiling but I've seen that in other houses and it seems fine. The stairwell does have it's own set of ceiling joists though so I'm limited on what I can knock-out as far as walls. I do potentially like the idea you are suggesting; just not sure how to support the ceiling joists that would be unsupported if I knock the wall down.

Any suggestions on what/how to do that?

Thanks,
BB

Old 05-22-13, 09:01 PM
There's plenty of headroom on the stairwell, it would just have to be a slanted ceiling...
Why? To allow diagonal bracing to the new beam? There's no lateral support available in the short remaining piece of the original wall, so I don't see the advantage of that. Others may differ.

just not sure how to support the ceiling joists that would be unsupported if I knock the wall down.
You're not knocking it down. You're moving the upper two thirds of it 2' into the stairwell.

How are the ceiling joists supported now? Isn't the existing wall behind the stove doing that? If so, how are the joists less supported if you let that wall continue to the hallway without an offset?

Old 05-22-13, 09:20 PM
B
There's 4' plus ceiling joists parallel to the stair treads above the stairwell so it's a "stud wall" on either side of the stairwell (well, tecnically it's two sets of walls, one set on the first floor and another on the second floor (daylight basement). The wall behind the stove is a newly added partition wall. If I moved the wall you are referring to "2' into the stairwell", the ceiling joist supports would be removed. Could I add in a "splice" (essentially remove the existing ceiling joists and add in say a 6 or 7' ceiling joist that lapped into the other ceiling joists over the kitchen?).

BB

BB

Old 05-22-13, 09:30 PM
Is there a support pier in the corner that protrudes into the kitchen? If so, this may be a bit more complicated than I thought.

I would sister new wood onto any joists that needed it rather than remove anything.

A drawing or photo of the existing framing above the kitchen and stairwell would help.