kerdi base and offset drain issue

Old 05-20-13, 11:26 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
kerdi base and offset drain issue

i have zero experience with bathroom renovations so after doing a bit of research it appears kerdi is my solution. i do not see myself sloping a bed from scratch myself

my shower is down to the studs but i have yet to demolish the floor tiles and the bottom 2 rows of wall tiles. but after i do that id like to start thinking about how this will go

i havent been in my crawlspace yet but i'm guessing the offset shower drain is there because of a joist issue below. stud to stud this shower measures 42 x 43 and the drain is to the left of center about 6 to 8 inches. there's a 48x48 kit at the store which appears to be just right for me size wise

i've read the kerdi manual and it just says to cut to fit. it also says cut from all sides equally and i do understand why. however it doesnt say what to cut this with and i'm also a bit worried about the off center issue contributing to tile issues.

so after the cement board is up i know ill have even a bit less to cut off but how bad will the tile be off given my above dimensions and the need to shift the kerdi to one side? the one half of the board may wind up being uncut even that way, and the other board cut down a lot. is this an issue?

and how do i ensure a straight first course of tile given that the one side will be higher than the other

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-13, 05:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some pics of the bathroom & the Kerdi shower would help.

Old 05-27-13, 09:23 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Using the Kerdi floor tray in your instance isnt going to work well for reasons you are already aware of. You can install kerdi over a properly sloped mudbed instead. You mention removing two rows of wall tile. Kerdi is a complete waterproofing system. You need to install the Kerdi fabric up the walls to at least the height of the shower head.