tiled shower city inspection/permit

Old 05-20-13, 03:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tiled shower city inspection/permit

I started a shower stall remodel and found out there was a water leak and my frame and trusses was damaged. So I need to get this done first. Contractors advised me to get s structural engineers to draft a repair method first and a city permit.

I understand the permit and inspection vary by city, but I am trying to prepare myself for that.

If I need to get a frame inspection, they will see my tear down shower. Will I be required to have the rest inspected (e.g. water proofing, drywall, tile, etc)? How long do these steps usually take?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-13, 06:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm all for doing everything legally but I don't see what you should go for a permit now. Repair the damage using the original design. Then do the shower.

Old 05-21-13, 06:46 PM
J
Is it illegal to remodel without a permit on our own home?

I thought it was optional and we should be okay if we built it to the standard. Except for the framing repair (which I havent figure out how yet) everything else is just standard. I am only replacing tile in the shower and we had to down the walls and shower pan in the process.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-22-13, 04:07 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What you can do & can't do varies from place to place. In your case, I would NOT apply for any permits. Once an inspector enters your house, you'll be toast.

Old 05-22-13, 09:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
Check with your local inspections dept. to find out at what point permits are required. Here most repairs and cosmetic remodeling does not require a permit. Even replacing sections of piping if it was clogged or leaking do not require a permit. Your department may have a dollar amount or some other stipulation as to when a repair becomes major and requires a permit.

Often an existing house and it's structure is grandfathered in under the rules when the house was built but if wall are opened up (exposed) for repairs they may require that area be brought up to all current codes; structural, plumbing electrical and depending on your location seismic. Which as you guess could snowball into quite expensive.

Old 05-22-13, 06:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think that's a good idea.