Tin Tile back splash over Formica

Old 05-22-13, 05:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Z on the holding ability of the screws. You can use a good adhesive like PL Advanced, or other high quality adhesives in a tube and spread it with a v notched trowel and the panels will stand a good chance of remaining on the formica. Other than that, I believe the manufacturer's suggested adhesives may fail.

Old 05-22-13, 11:39 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tin Tile back splash over Formica

I currently have a Formica backsplash which extends accross an 8' counter and
goes up the wall about 2'. The Formica is partially behind some cabinets and
is in good condition except in the middle 2' where it is starting to seperate at the top from the wood backing. It's held firmly in place at the outer edges because of the cabinets. Is it a good idea to reglue and/or screw down the center area where the Formica is coming apart and then glue on the tin tile backsplash? The tin backsplash is just going to cover the center area of the formica.

Old 05-22-13, 12:14 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The formica is usually glued to particleboard. Make sure that the particleboard did not get wet and expand as the reason for the delamination. Its also usually glued with a contact cement.

Not sure I follow where the tin panels are going? Center over just the patch? Center horizontally across the whole length?

Old 05-22-13, 01:37 PM
T
The tin is going over the middle 4' of the 8' length Formica that isn't under cabinets. The tin will butt up against the sides of the cabinets. I can't tell what's under the Formica or whether it's expanded fiberboard. The Formica that is under the cabinets is being held firmly in place and looks like it will last as long as the cabinets. As can be seen in the photos there is a seem and the top portion of the Formica isn't coming apart, just the lower part in between the cabinets. The tin is just leaning against the Formica to give an idea of positioning.

Attached Images    
Old 05-22-13, 01:59 PM
T
Pictures

These are pcts. The tin is just leaning in the approximate position. You can see where the cabinets overlap the formica.

Attached Images    
Old 05-22-13, 02:08 PM
It is actual tin or metal that the panels are - correct? Not the plastic panels I see on display in the big box stores near the kitchen displays. Concerned about flammability in proximity to the cooktop as there is already staining from heat which is probably why it is delaminating.

Old 05-22-13, 02:21 PM
T
What's in the picture is a plastic panel from big box, just got that to get an idea of how real tin will look. Will eventually use real aluminum. Could I use screws to tighten down the section that the tin will go over?

Old 05-22-13, 02:28 PM
Devils advocate here only

The metal panels you are going to put up will dent when you slide that big pot of pasta water onto the burner and accidentally bump the wall.

Particle board does not have tremendous holding power so the long term success of screwing it down are questionable. Particularly a section of particleboard that has been subjected to heat on a regular basis as yours has. It is already telling you it is fatigued through delaminating.

Old 05-22-13, 03:24 PM
T
I took a picture of the board at the back of the cabinets. I was
able to look down the Formica that's coming unattached and it looks like
the same material, though it was hard to get a really good look. Doesn't seem to be particle board. Couldn't I find studs to
attach to? The house was built in 1962, don't know what materials were typical then. The board behind the Formica measures exactly 9/16th".

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: