Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Considering refinishing bathtub and putting in new tile...

Old 05-25-13, 02:13 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody,
I am currently considering a bathroom upgrade. My tub and shower is the main concern. The tub is old but sturdy and seems to clean up ok, but the tile is yellowed and kinda ugly and the tub surround is way outdated. I am not sure if I should take out the tile myself and replace the plumbing down to the handles, then put in new tile after removing the tub surround and getting tub refinished or if I should go ahead and replace the tub with a new one, new backer and tile, and update the handles from a 1 hot, 1 cold, 1 shower/tub handle to a one hot/cold and a pull on the spout? what do you guys think is the best option and reasonable prices to do either?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-13, 03:32 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I alway replace the whole faucet when do a remodel.
It's always best to get rid any old cast or steel plumbing while your in there.
As far as the tub to me it depend on how long you plan to stay there.
If this is your forever home then I'd replace it.
Within 5 years, hire a pro to reglaze it.

Old 05-25-13, 05:21 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If the tub is cast iron, it will out live all of us. The refinish of the tub takes place after the tile and plumbing work is completed. That is the last thing you do.

Send us a picture of the current set up and your initial thoughts. We can help guide you from there.

Old 05-25-13, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We had one of our two clawfoot tubs reglazed (epoxy coated) in our old house. They only warrant 5 years, but it still looked when we sold the place 15 years later.

Do it last, as Czizzi said, and clean it gently.

Old 05-25-13, 05:19 PM
L
I was curious if anyone has had anything reglazed in the past and how much you paid? It would be great if it would hold up its shine, i'm a little nervous about it fading fast.

Old 05-25-13, 05:47 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Do it all the time, should be in the neighborhood of $350 to $375. I have reglazed dozens of tubs at a local hotel without any complaints. In fact, one of the hotel staff had me corrdinate a bathroom remodel at her house and she wanted her tub reglazed because she had seen how then stood up at the hotel.

Mind you this is a Pro coming in to reglaze. Not, I repeat, Not a home kit that you brush on.

Old 05-26-13, 06:46 PM
L
This is great news thanks for the advice! You have been very helpful on a couple of my other threads as well. I am a first time homebuyer and am looking to learn and do minor cosmetic remodels on my own. This forum site is awesome!