keeping old shower floor, how crazy an idea?

Old 05-28-13, 05:09 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
keeping old shower floor, how crazy an idea?

initially I started a thread because I thought i'd be using a kerdi system. however today I spent a lotta time getting the 2 rows of tiles off the bottom of the shower walls and exposed the sides of the shower base. this was a very difficult job..not fun at all, things were really on there! now i'm no pro, never did plumbing, but the floor looks pretty good in my opinion and while I didn't go under the crawlspace yet to verify, I don't see signs it leaked.

there's a metal or rubber type membrane around the perimeter and I had lotta mesh and concrete holding up the tiles. I still have a bit more cleanup to do around the perimeter. but i'm confident I can clean out enough 'debris' to maybe fill in the perimeter with something to level it with the floor.

as you can see, the colors are not ideal. why they put pink and black with what used to be a blue and white 'formica' type wall above the 2 courses of tile, I do not know. I don't know what to call it but I almost wouldn't mind something like that be installed again, looks very easy. but I also am open to tile, especially if I rip out the floor

regardless, my main point is the floor. assuming I confirm the floor looks good underneath, how poor a decision would it be to keep the floor? im guessing i'd need a jackhammer to rip up the floor and the offset drain probably cannot be moved to center otherwise why wouldn't they have moved it to start with? just a guess. cant tell until I crawl under the house. So keeping the floor is immensely easier

I can envision some kind of black tile maybe or work out the colors later. or if I really should rip it up can the kerdi floor system be cut good enough for my offset situation? the shower measures about 42x43 and I could build up the one side to even it up if I had to.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-13, 05:42 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
You've gone this far, no sense in stopping. When I tore out my old shower it was, as was yours, well-constructed and a real pain to break things out and cart the trash away. The floor however was fairly easy. Use that sledge hammer and the brickset (wide chisel) to break the floor from the edges. Mine was about three to four inches total thickness and in two distinct layers. Amazingly, the mortar wasn't all that hard and it was fairly easy to break into manageable size chunks. It wasn't stuck to the subfloor so I was also able to use the pry bar and then get a piece of something under the mortar bed and just snap off chunks. I would say that for the area of the floor versus the same area of wall the floor was far easier to remove.

Old 05-28-13, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
That liner appears to be lead, not rubber. Pull it all out and start over, disposing of the lead properly.

Old 05-28-13, 05:46 PM
L
would that kerdi floor work on my offset drain like that?

yea the membrane is weird for sure

Old 05-29-13, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Benlinus, why can't the offset drain not be moved to the middle? We do it often.

Old 05-29-13, 05:12 PM
L
until I get under the house I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing someone did it offset because of a joist and from mike holmes show I learned not to cut a joist to put a drain in, correct?

Old 05-29-13, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you don't like the 50s pink and charcoal look, rip it out and start it over. If you like it, start recovering the walls with waterproof materials that will overhang and drain into the base you have.

Old 05-31-13, 05:30 AM
L
will using that kerdi base and cutting it really be an issue for me as far as the tile lining up? I'm most scared of the pan portion of this job, the rest I think will come with reading up and practice.

it's impossible to cut the kerdi equaly all the way around.

or wait, now that i'm thinking about this just the bottom row could be custom cut with little pieces to line up better? i'm just unsure how this will work

or will the distance really not matter over the small length i'm cutting?