First time shower remodel

Old 06-01-13, 01:17 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time shower remodel

Hey guys, I've read quit a few posts on here and think I've got a pretty good handle on how to do this right. Before I start, I wanted to share my plan and see if anyone sees any problems. We are tearing out our old fiberglass shower and installing a tile one. Here's my plan :

1) Starting from just the 2x4 studs I'm hanging 1/2" hardibacker on all three walls, the floor and the ceiling.
2) Installing first half of drain.
3) I'm using "goof proof" prepitch/curb perfect and pouring my shower pan/curb.
4) Using 6" fiberglass cloth tape and redgard waterproofing to seal all seems between panels of hardibacker and the shower pan.
5) Apply two coats of redgard to entire shower stall to waterproof, install second half of drain.
6) Using "goof proof" quick pitch and pouring my sloped base to the drain.
7) Using standard 12" tiles on the wall/ceiling and 2" on the floor, tiling the whole shower using versabond modified thinset.
8) Grout using sanded grout and then grout sealer as well as installing drain cover/strainer and faucet.

Like I said, this is my first shower and any help/suggestions from the pro's would be appreciated. Just want to do it right.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-13, 03:51 AM
M
You better talk to us a bit more----are you planning to waterproof the pan with Redguard?

I've never heard of doing that---and painting it on the presloped part ?

Another bad plan----Use a PVC liner--which would be installed before the backer board--http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Or pack the pan with deck mud ---using a Schluter drain and waterproof the top surface and walls with Hydroban by Latacrete.

I never considered Redguard to be safe for waterproofing a pan.===

Old 06-01-13, 10:07 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Old 06-01-13, 03:45 PM
K
Ok, so the Morter Bed and the slab are both made out of the same sand/topping mix?

Quikrete 60 lb. Sand/Topping Mix-110360 at The Home Depot

I'm now planning on using a rubber liner instead of redgard'ing the pan....like this one Oatey 5 ft. x 6 ft. Shower Pan Liner-41630 at The Home Depot

and just using the redgard to waterproof the hardibacker walls.

Will this work well as long as I leave an inch gap from the bottom of the hardibacker and the shower pan to prevent wicking. Would I need to do anything else to the bottom edge of the hardibacker to prevent water from getting up into it or can I just hit the bottom edge with redgard?

Thanks for the quick replies. Planning on going out for supplies in the next few days.

Old 06-01-13, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You will put up a 6 mil vapor barrier behind your wall cbu, so that ends the worry about the cbu wicking water. Install the cbu, put in your preslope, liner, final pack for the pan. No need to use Redgard as all the water that could possibly find its way to the CBU will fall into the pan liner, since it is behind the cbu.

Old 06-01-13, 11:17 PM
K
Ok, so to clarify the quikrete sand/top is the correct mix to use for the pre slope AND final pack? Water penetrating the tile/thinset and cbu will not cause any failure of thinset or the cbu or any other problems? I've heard of bad installs where tiles began falling off the wall.

Thanks again

Old 06-02-13, 03:05 AM
Tiles fall off sheetrock walls, not off cbu walls, unless there is an installation problem. Your mix for the pan should be a 5:1 sand/cement mix. I believe what you buy in the bags is about 3:1, so you may have to modify it a little. I like to mix my own. You will only make it as wet as it needs to hold together in your hand, then crumble if you crush it. I believe the Ontario site gives the correct mix.

Old 06-02-13, 06:33 AM
M
I always waterproof the walls using Hydroban or Redguard---no plastic vapor barrier against the studs.

The board is installed after the preslope and liner is installed ==the deck mud holds the bottom of the rock in place so no nailing is needed below the water line.

Do a flood test before tiling----go to a plumbing supply house for an inflatable plug.

A fully waterproofed wall is your best insurance against premature failure.

Old 06-02-13, 09:57 AM
Yup, got my foot before my brain. Preslope and liner before cbu. If you can afford Redgard, you can go for it, but the cost difference between a 6 mil liner($30) and 3 1/2 gallons of Redgard ($128.00) is a world apart if you are watching pennies.

Old 06-03-13, 03:17 AM
M
One gallon is plenty---about $55.

Old 06-05-13, 09:13 AM
R
As mikeswoods suggested, get a plug, plug up the drain and fill the pan with water, let it sit awhile. It's actually required in my area to be done, and inspected by the county. But if you're doing it without a permit, it would be a wise idea to do just to double check your work.

Old 06-05-13, 02:12 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mike has you headed in the right direction. As an alternative, take a look at the Schluter Kerdi shower kit.