Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Pre-fab shower requires mortar underneath - what type?

Old 06-07-13, 05:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I bought the "Jono Hudson 38-in. Neo-round Corner Shower" from Costco and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. Page 9 of the instructions says:

"A bed of mortar must be applied underneath the tray of the shower base. Apply a sufficient amount to support the base when it will be leveled and fixed."

Any recommendations on what type of mortar to use?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 08:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
It's pretty forgiving. I generally use whatever I have on hand; premade mix, type S or N. If you have to go buy something I would get a bag of mortar mix that already includes the sand so all you have to do is add water.

Old 06-07-13, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Thinset is a good product. I use about 4 or 5 dollops spaced across the pressure area, so when I set the unit down, it will have room to squish out.

Old 06-12-13, 04:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the guidance - that should be enough to get me set up!

A follow-up question - I'm running the water supply lines using pex pipes (the whole house is run with pex). They'll be in an exterior wall - not ideal, but it's not really all that "exterior" anyways - it's a foundation wall we share with our neighbours (we're in a townhome). Not sure why, but it has insulation and vapour barrier on it. I plan to run the pipe on the drywall side of the vapour barrier, but behind the drywall (of course).

My question is - will the hot water line be too hot to rest directly against the vapour barrier? i.e., could it melt the plastic?

Old 06-12-13, 04:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
Domestic hot water is not hot enough to damage insulation or vapor barrier plastic. It's probably only 120-140f (49-60c).