Schluter Kerdi shows ridges through Kerdi...

Old 06-09-13, 10:36 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Schluter Kerdi shows ridges through Kerdi...

I wish I would have found this site last thursday. I have installed two walls of kerdi using hardibacker, Mapei Floor and wall tile mortar, a 1/4 x 3/16th V-notch trowel, and I can see ridges through the Kerdi all over the walls. I mixed the mortar to a milkshake consistency by adding more water, I used two trowels to embed the Kerdi in the Mortar but it just would not flatten out. I did not do the pan yet as I am afraid I need to tear it out and do it again, but I don't know what to do. I have a call in to Schluter but since its the weekend, they can't get back to me until next week. What should I do?

Pictures of ridges

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-13, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I don't get to do much with the Schluter system, mainly for cost vs. clientele penny watching. SO, the tile pros will chime in here shortly, but I don't see a real problem with the surface of the kerdi. You will be setting your tile in 1/4" base, so any minor aberrations won't matter much. Normally the kerdi and ditra are patted out with a rubber or wooden float to maintain smoothness. Did you use that? Or did you just keep troweling?

Old 06-09-13, 11:11 AM
N
Thanks for the reply. no float or mallet. I kept troweling. The only thing I am worried about is the tile falling off of the Kerdi. The seams turned out great.

Old 06-09-13, 03:51 PM
J
Red face

I'm no expert, but I too have used the Kerdi and the little mud ridges behind the Kerdi were visible through the material. I found that the Kerdi was well and truly fixed to the substrate, so no worries at all!
John