Just another shower wall question.

Old 08-15-13, 09:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just another shower wall question.

I have done the powder and it came out real well and am now in the master. I have done the R/R of the tub including replacement of the old controls with a new single control system after removing all the old galvanized pipe and replaced it with copper. The walls were tiled over a plaster/ cement wall built in the early 50's. I cut a twl foot section of the shower wall out to allow removal of the tub and replacement of the shower controls, the tub and pluming is all in and working so now the wall. The plaster is at an inch thick, it is just a hair over an inch in the wall with the controls and a tad less on the rest. I was going to use Hardieboard for the tile base but it comes in a quarter and a half inch, the question is how would you guys generate the wall thickness, using a set of shims over the studs by ripping strips the correct thickness or a second inner wall board to fill the half inch difference in thickness and in either case where would you place a vapor/ moisture barrier? I have seen there is a paintable moisture barrier that seems to be installed over the Hardieboard as an option? As always thanks for your suggestions. So far all the electrical and pluming has gone well and I'm almost in the home stretch.

Old 08-15-13, 06:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You will have to measure each stud individually and cut a shim/furring strip to make up the difference less the thickness of the hardibacker/Durock. If using 1/2" backer, Durock is easier to cut and work with. Once you add the furring and backer you should be at the same level as the plaster. Tape and mud the seam and overlap with bullnose tile to finish the wall tile.

Installing 15# felt paper behind the Durock in layers that eventually end up overlapping the tile flange on the tub will take care of barrier needs. Much cheaper than the paint on options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: