Tub & Shower Caulking

Old 08-26-13, 07:26 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tub & Shower Caulking

I have a customer who said that the caulking around his tub & shower base doesn't last more than 6 months. It get moldy, etc.... He wants me to replace it with grout. One of my suppliers said that he has a mildew resistant caulking. I was wondering it that's any better or if there is a marine product that would be stronger. Any suggestions?

Old 08-26-13, 07:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, don't use grout on a plane change like corners. Behind the sealant must be 100% dry before application. This is advertised to have a bioseal feature that resists mildew and mold for 5 years, and it's made by GE. GE II 9.8-oz. White Kitchen and Bath caulk-HD5070 24C at The Home Depot

Old 08-26-13, 08:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Have you or anyone you know used that product? I'll put it on the list for now.

Old 08-26-13, 09:49 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Works fine. I'd bet there's moisture inside that walls causing the mold not the caulking failng.
Most likely tile over sheetrock not tile board.

Old 08-27-13, 06:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have used the caulk mentioned by Larry in commercial applications (hotel) when I needed a relatively quick set up time so that they could rent the room without delay. That of course is a standard white kitchen and bath caulk.

For applications requiring a colored caulk to match grout, I use almost exclusively the caulking sold at tile stores made by Latticrete. I have never been called back for a mold/mildew issue.

Sealant and Caulk Products for Tile and Stone Installation - Waterproof Caulk - Expansion Joint Caulk

Old 08-27-13, 07:49 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Czizzi, is Laticrete sold to the public? I never saw it in Home Cheapo.

joecaption1, I'm not sure what's behind that tile. cement board or rock.

Even if the caulk doesn't 'fail', what about it collecting mold on the outside of it & just looking bad. The owner said that he uses the fan when he takes a shower but isn't sure about his 'kids'.

Old 08-27-13, 08:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Type in your zip code to find a dealer in your neck of the woods. Tile stores, not big box stores

LATICRETEŽ International > Dealers > Find a Distributor

He may have to leave the curtain or shower door open until most of the moisture had evaporated. If the water sits in a stagnant environment with no air flow - perfect conditions for mold/mildew growth.

Old 08-27-13, 08:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I have to look at the job again & ask the owner if he was letting the caulking dry long enough along w/ a few other questions. I don't know how many people are in the house, etc.....

Old 08-28-13, 10:47 AM
S
I would recommend Dow Corning 786 silicone sealant. Should do the trick. Not sure where you're located but you should be able to find a distributor here:

Find a Distributor

However as joecaption1 mentioned the issue is more likely related to something other than product failure.

Old 08-28-13, 09:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The location is the down state NY, if that makes a difference. I'll mention everything that was said here to the owner & let him make a decision. Chances are part of the problem is not letting it dry completely before & after the job.

Old 07-25-14, 10:08 PM
L
Hope this helps!

I found a great website called caulkingforpros.com It has alot of information on caulking tips and the right materials you should use on your job. Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: