Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

removing silicone caulk after doing countertop restoration

Old 09-26-13, 07:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

we recently used Rustoleum's Countertop Restoration kit to cover our laminate countertops. they looked fabulous. my husband decided we needed to put some caulk at the top of the countertop backsplash and the tile backsplash (between the two). well the caulk did not go so well and it spread down onto the countertop backsplash. I am afraid of ruining the newly restored countertop. I have tried to use some silicone removing products and I think one started to take off the countertop product.
Any suggestions on how to get this removed or covered?
thanks!

Old 09-26-13, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
First try something that isn't a solvent. Isopropal alcohol. You might have some in the medicine cabinet. Use a plastic dish scrubber... you know, like the orange and yellow ones. It won't be too abrasive. If the silicone is still fresh it might remove some of it. If you can scrape it with a plastic dish scraper to remove the excess that might help too. But IMO you are probably going to need to try to remove 100% of it, and start over.

Next time, cut the finest tip you can on the tube, poke the seal with a wire if you have to. Mask off both sides of the joint with tape leaving only a small area exposed, then caulk. After you caulk, immediately spritz with isopropal alcohol and wipe with a widget or your finger. Remove excess on your finger or on the tape with a rag. Remove the tape and spritz and tool one more time.

It usually results in a very professional looking bead of sealant.

Old 09-26-13, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately once silicone has cured there isn't anything I know of that will dissolve it. Usually it needs to be removed by scraping or peeling it off.

That countertop restoration is a water based product.

Maybe someone has a helpful suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: