Inspection question

Old 10-02-13, 11:21 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inspection question

I am planning a kitchen remodel soon and have a question about the inspection process. I recently built a home rock climbing wall in my garage consisting of 2x6 framework that runs from the ground up to the finished ceiling of the garage at an angle and are screwed into the bottom chord of the trusses through the sheetrock. Basically its something like this

Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  45.5 KB

I am using it as "storage," having a bunch of bins on shelves behind the wall.

Do I have to worry about this being an issue when the inspector comes to do the various inspections on my kitchen? I assume he will go into the garage to look at the e-panel.

I live in California if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-13, 05:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
You might have trouble getting the inspector to leave if he's into climbing...

It appears you did not do anything structural and your panels screwed in place could be considered temporary. If you did not move or do any electrical work I think you are OK except for concealing electrical switches and outlets behind your panels. All electrical junctions (fixtures, switches, outlets, electrical boxes with blank/solid covers...) must remain accessible and not concealed.

Old 10-03-13, 07:43 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thats good news. You are correct, I did not alter the structure at all. As far as electrical, nothing is concealed. I have a cutout in one wall for an outlet, and there is a fluorescent light behind the sloped area that you see on the right to illuminate the storage area. Its a large area and is accessible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: