CA title 24 and insulation

Old 10-05-13, 05:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CA title 24 and insulation

I know I can go to the city to get this answer but I would rather not since it's a pain in the ass and I already spend too much time there. As I understand it, any walls or ceiling I open must be insulated to title 24 requirements. This makes sense when opening an entire wall section. For my kitchen remodel, I will be opening a section of wall across from the kitchen (when removing a partition wall) only one stud bay wide from floor to ceiling and a section of ceiling the same width. Do I really need to change the insulation in this one section to meet requirements even though the rest of the wall and ceilings insulation would remain original? Seems silly but I guess that is california...

Old 10-06-13, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Does title 24 require interior walls to be insulated? You will be getting an inspection on this, so I would say install what insulation you need in the bay that you open and move on. You are only opening the bay, not the entire wall, from what I understand. Yep, silly, but typically Californya.

Old 10-06-13, 08:50 AM
F
Sorry, ment to say its an exterior wall that the partition wall meets, and that is the bay I am opening.

Old 10-06-13, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I should think the outside wall would be insulated. Is it not?? I would insulate the part I opened up and let them see that for inspection.

Old 10-09-13, 06:56 AM
F
It is insulated. I would just have to change the insulation to meet title 24 and think it is silly that one bay will have a higher r factor insulation that all the others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: