Installing a toe kick base plate

Old 10-11-13, 10:54 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a toe kick base plate

I'm putting in some new cabinets in my kitchen. Its a small kitchen so space is limited and where I'm putting them, I'm using wall cabinets as base cabinets since the space is too small for actual base cabinets. Since wall cabinets do not come with the toe kick I'm putting one on myself. How should I go about attaching it? Should I attach the toe kick to the floor first to make a frame that the cabinets will then sit on top of or should I attach it to the bottom of the cabinets and then slide everything in as all one unit? I'm thinking attaching the plate to the floor will give it more strength then trying to screw it on to the cabinets but then since I'm attaching it separately to the floor first, I worry about things being out of alignment when I go to rest the cabinets on top of it, even though I'll have measured it out several times whereas if I attach it to the cabinets first then that won’t be an issue but then there won’t be as much strength in the toe kick since its really acting like a frame for the whole thing.

Another thought too is building a seperate frame using 2x4's and then just attaching the toe kick on that for even more strenght then just using the toe kick as the frame, which is just particle board.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Toe kicks get set on the floor in position, then you shim them up until they are perfectly level in every direction. The toekicks are then attached to cleats positioned here and there, to prevent them from moving around.

Old 10-11-13, 01:17 PM
U
Thanks. When you mention cleats are you talking about wood cleats that are secured on to the floor that the toe kick would attach to? Are they nailed to the cleats?

Last edited by umjorge3; 10-11-13 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that's the idea. It can just be a short scrap of 2x4 here and there, secured to the floor, then use some finish nails or screws to hold the toekick base to the cleat.

If you have areas where the cabinets do not end at a wall, you will need to plan on how to finish the end of the cabinet and toekick base.

You can: add a finish panel over the end of the entire cabinet and toekick base (provided they line up exactly), notching out the bottom corner of the finish panel to match the rest of the toekick.

End the toekick a few inches short of the end of the cabinet, so that the cabinet overhangs the side the same amount it overhangs in front.

Your cabinets do overhang the toekick base by 2 1/2" or so, right?

Old 10-11-13, 05:30 PM
U
Since I haven't started yet that's what I plan on doing. I was going to ask how much the cabinets are suppose to overhang the toe kick

Old 10-11-13, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Ok. Toekick height is usually about 4 1/2". This mskes the top of the cabinet roughly 34 1/2" before countertops.

Old 10-11-13, 08:47 PM
U
Thanks a lot. While I'm asking how are base cabinets usually attached? Are they screwed to the wall essentially?

Old 10-12-13, 06:47 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Base Cabinets

While I'm asking how are base cabinets usually attached? Are they screwed to the wall essentially?
Normal base cabinets have a top rail in the back. Screws go through the top rail into a studs.