Remove and reinstall baseboards?

Old 10-22-13, 01:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove and reinstall baseboards?

How do I remove and reinstall baseboards without any damaged in my kitchen?

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-13, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There are going to be finishing nails towards the bottom of the molding holding it attached to the wall plate. You can try sliding a wide putty knife between the sheetrock and the molding and try prying gently.

Sometimes I'll slide the wide putty knife in and then try to use a thin flat bar between the knife and the molding.

You may also be able to see the fastening nails in which case you can drive them thru the molding with a small thin punch.

When all is said and done there will probably need to be some minor patching and painting.

Old 10-22-13, 01:48 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thx ///////////////////////////////////

Old 10-22-13, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Can't stress enough what he said about inserting the pry bar between the wide putty knife and the baseboard. The putty knife is what protects the wall from getting dented and damaged. Also, only pry where the nails are. (directly over a stud) Prying between the studs may seem like a good idea, but before you know it, your prybar will punch a hole right through the drywall.

Pull nails out of the trim by pulling them through the back side of the trim... don't nail them back out the front or it will damage the trim. By gripping the nail on the back side with a pliers or visegrips or sidecutter, you can usually pull them out.

Old 10-22-13, 06:42 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Also, be careful when you pry, especially near where the floor is tiled. A buddy was a bit "overenthusiastic" when he was using the pry bar, it slipped, and chipped a tile. He was lucky to have a replacement available.
Good luck with your project.

Old 10-23-13, 02:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I understand not wanting to damage the walls, but are you really in love with that molding? Are you planning on reusing it? Would another design suffice as an upgrade? Just curious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: