Securing a vanity

Old 11-14-13, 01:02 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Securing a vanity

I am installing a free-standing vanity in a small bathroom. Two issue. First, it is fairly narrow (~24") so there is only one stud behind it. I was going to secure it to the stud and then use two stud-solver anchors on either side. That brings me to the second issuse, between the baseboard and the slight angle of the wall there is ~1/2" gap between the vanity and the wall and I was planning to shim between them. Are there better ways to handle this or will that suffice?
Thanks!

Old 11-14-13, 01:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Certainly screw into the stud. You can also come in at an angle at the very bottom and catch the bottom/sole plate. The screws will be visible or you can cover them with molding on the side of the cabinet which can also conceal the pie shaped gap where the wall is not square. If the floor is wood or vinyl you can screw at an angle down through the front or sides of the cabinet into the floor.

In rental houses I generally don't use the spiral wall board anchors because they tend to get ripped out. In a private home with normal use they can be helpful but a toggle bolt would hold more firmly. If the top has a molded in back splash you can also gain decent support by gluing it to the wall, unfortunately it can't be removed without buggering the wall to some degree though it's usually only the top layer of paper that peels away.

Old 11-14-13, 04:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would do one of two things. Remove the base board, install the vanity then cut and reinstall the base board.
Or an easier way is to slide the vanity in place mark it and cut it out with an oscillating saw where the marks are.
You never just leave that gap and have to fill it some how!
No way would I be screwing it down to the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: