Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Need some ideas. Remodeling a bathroom while keeping the tub/shower liner

Need some ideas. Remodeling a bathroom while keeping the tub/shower liner

Old 02-15-14, 07:39 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need some ideas. Remodeling a bathroom while keeping the tub/shower liner

So our new house has this GROSS bathroom with old tiles all over the walls. The previous owner installed a tub/shower liner and it is over top the old tiles in the tub area. The liner is almost new so I want to keep (obviously replace caulk, yuck). When we demo the tiles, how should we go about that without trashing the liner, since the tiles run underneath? My plan is to keep the tiles up that are under the liner on the wall, of course, but I don't want them hanging out from under the liner, need them hidden under the liner . Also concerned about when we redo the floor, since it looks like the old floor tiles are running under the tub liner a little. I know there is some trim that will can always replace so I am not worried about ripping that down.

Also, it's really not in the budget to tear down the liner.
Anyone rip down a liner? what was under it... if I even want to know.

See Pictures below. Please share your ideas and opinions.
Name:  ResizedImage_1392477199067.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1392477221917.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  11.4 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1392477236185.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  16.5 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1392477329800.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  22.4 KB

Old 02-15-14, 08:22 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Going to be a challenge. The tiles are on top of a 1" thick bed of cement with wire lath embedded in it. Simply removing the tile can be done, but is a mess and a bear. In order to not hurt the liner at all, you will have to isolate the tile under from that on top. A grinder with a diamond blade will slick through the tile right at the liner. Will make a "TON" of dust however. Even if you remove the tile, you are going to have to address the cement up against the liner.

Remove the caulk line where the tub meets the floor, you should be able to tell if the floor tile goes under the tub or not. My guess is that it does not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: