Potentially leaking shower. What to do?

Old 04-06-14, 11:35 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potentially leaking shower. What to do?

I live in a new-construction house that my dad had commissioned, completed around 2006. I do not think the showers were tiled properly.

We've had two showers leak through to the floor below. The first shower which is a bathtub/shower head combo leaked through a gap between the external tile ledge and the actual tub insert. The second shower, which is a standalone, leaked through tiles which weren't grouted properly under the in-shower seat. We decided to re grout and seal all three baths just in case.

Our third shower hasn't showed visible signs of leaking yet, but whenever we walk on the second floor near the shower after it hasn't been visited for a while, cracking sounds similar to what typical settling noises sound like come from inside the walls around the shower. I would suspect that since the shower is right up against the very edge of the house, it could be leaking on the edge down through the studs and we're not seeing it come through the floor.

The house is built with Wood I Beams, and I'm mainly concerned that we could be doing structural damage to either the studs or the I beams. No one else in my household is concerned about it. My question is, how do I check to see if the shower is actually leaking, whether a slow or fast, and how do I fix it since our grout seems to just crack and get moldy after a year?

Old 04-07-14, 05:54 AM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
I know of no way other than removing tile and wall board and looking at it. If it happened in the other two places then its a good bet it will hapen here also. Maybe other s here can give you better offerings.

Old 04-07-14, 07:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
how do I fix it since our grout seems to just crack and get moldy after a year?
In the corners of the shower, grout should not be used. If you know the name of the grout color, go to a tile store and purchase an un-sanded color matched caulk. Use this in the corners of the shower and where the walls meet the floor. Any time the plane changes in the shower, a flexible caulk should be used. This goes for the other two showers as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: