Frameless shower door on a non-plumb wall

Old 04-14-14, 06:07 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frameless shower door on a non-plumb wall

I am planning to get my frameless shower door made, but I am concerned because the hinges will be mounted on a non-plumb wall. The picture below will show you my situation.

Is my situation workable, or do I really have to fix my wall? I am worried that the hinges don't line up.

Thanks.

PMone

Attached Images  
Old 04-14-14, 07:50 PM
Thinking long term, I would fix the wall. There are other ways to do it, but that will give you the satisfaction of doing it right.

Old 04-15-14, 12:32 AM
P
I want to find out if 3/8" off is workable or not. If it is workable, I would prefer to work around the problem, because my guess is that making the wall completely plumb is not an easy thing.

Old 04-15-14, 06:08 AM
Ok. You could shim the left, bottom hinge with 3/8" clear acrylic/plexiglass (that you cut to fit) and then caulk the left side with clear silicone caulk. The caulk width variation along the left edge of the glass probably won't be noticeable after you're all done because the eye will be drawn to other features in the room. You'll probably need longer screws to attach the bottom left hinge to the wall (through the shim)

Old 04-15-14, 06:32 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Ask your glass company how their hinges are attached. Its been a while since I personally installed a glass panel, but I believe that the glass has a "U" cut out of it which allows you to slide the hinge for slight variations in the wall. But it is not uncommon for your situation. I guess worse case, is that you go with a semi-frameless so that metal covers that area.

What are the walls made of, tile? Which side of the shower houses the business end of the plumbing? Is your curb sufficiently sloped so that splash runs back into the pan? What kind of weather stripping comes with the door? What about the square made by the curb wall transition? Will a frameless work?

Old 04-15-14, 01:23 PM
P
I have plumbing on both sides. The curb has a slight slop back into the pan. Attached jpg shows you the framing.

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-14, 07:26 PM
Since you're just dealing with studs, I would definitely plane down the studs to get 50 1/2" all the way up.

Old 04-15-14, 07:56 PM
P
I already have tiles installed. The tiles go all the way up the wall. That's why I want to find out if there is any workaround. Thanks.

Old 04-16-14, 08:51 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The answers will come from the glass company doing the install. They can let you know if the offset is manageable or not. I've seen worse as with bulge from the pan liner, but it is something that they deal with everyday. Good luck.

Old 01-21-16, 11:30 PM
R
Well, what did you end up doing?

My guess is they swapped the door and the panel. Having the panel on the left, out of plumb side, and the door on the right.

Or possible, they hinged the door off the panel with the hinges on the left side of the door

Old 01-22-16, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Rachel Marlene, welcome to the forums! This thread is over a year and a half old. Check the dates for current activity. I'm closing this thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: