Best sealant for marble?

Old 04-23-14, 10:28 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best sealant for marble?

I've just started researching this because we have a lighter gray marble on our kitchen island. We are starting to see visible stains and wanted to make sure this stays looking as good as possible.

We bought the house with the marble countertop and had received all copies of receipts for the renovations done to the home and the marble costed the previous owner about $100 / sq, so this is a very expensive piece. Any information would be greatly appreciated on how to remove stains and which sealants are the best based on your personal experience. Thanks!

Old 04-24-14, 07:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you have any idea what the stains are? Marble is generally a maintenance free surface & a sealer shouldn't be needed, especially near food.

Old 05-07-14, 01:31 PM
D
Marble is a very porous stone, especially the grays. They are not particularly good as counter tops because they also scratch quite easy. Harder stones like granite are always preferred if natural stone is one's choice. While there are those who believe that natural stone "must breathe", have no illusions, natural marble will stain easily and can be permanent. Even granite can be stained but it is much more resistant to staining but still needs to be sealed. Be that as it may, if you have a marble counter top, there are many sealers available at Lowe's etc. The sealers do not change the appearance of the marble. Never use amonia to clean stone and seal it annually for best protection. Wipe up liquids immediately and if you're smart, don't put marble on counter tops. Have you noticed you really don't see many marble counter tops around? Marble on a table or shelf top is not uncommon but that is because there is little movement of objects and rare liquid spills on these areas. There is very little marble in the world that should cost 100/ft2 so someone prob got a bad deal. Granite is far superior to marble as a top and cost 40-100 per sq ft averging prob 50/ft2. Seal it if you care about it.

Old 05-07-14, 04:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I've dealt with some marble floors and I honestly would replace the countertops in my home if they were made of marble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: