original old bathroom

Old 05-09-14, 02:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
original old bathroom

hi! working on remodel of my bathroom. since i don't have the funds to retile the shower stall (there is no bathtub) i wanted to know if and how i can remove the tile and then follow through with either new tile (DIY) or perhaps just paining.

any thoughts on removing the old tile?

thanks! your input is awesome!

Old 05-09-14, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The best way to do a bath remodel is to gut the bathroom and build it back like you want it. Removing the tiles in the shower will expose the walls to water damage. Paint won't keep it at bay. Removing the tile will most likely remove much of the wall board behind it, as I guess it may have been installed on sheetrock. Removing all the sheetrock, insulating the wall, installing a vapor barrier and concrete backer board will give you a good base to install new tile. What type shower base do you have?

Old 05-09-14, 03:51 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Consider a shower surround.

Old 05-09-14, 08:01 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I don't think there is any "easy" method to removing tile from a shower and certainly no method that would allow you to continue to use the shower until you could afford to rebuild it. When I demolished my shower it took me weeks to remove all the tile, backer board, drywall and mud bed base. Of course I didn't work on it but maybe once a week for a couple of hours at a time. I also found that disposing of the rubble took a long time as I suspect there was at least a quarter of a ton (maybe more) altogether.

Old 05-09-14, 08:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The price of disposing rubble has dropped, at least temporarily. Since the economy is so bad, some people have decided to remove debris as a side line. Because of that, I see 10 yard dumpsters as low as $275, for construction debris. Cement & dirt cost more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: