Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Making my own shower pan, guidance would be great

Old 05-20-14, 08:28 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So it is almost time to remodel my master bathroom.

The shower as it stands now is a standard 3x3 shower pan tucked in to the corner. It's placement is weird in that there is another 3 ft from the shower entrance to the opposing wall and I want to make a shower pan that would be 3x6 and tile it.

I've been watching videos and it seems like I can do the job. But I have seen several different ways of making the shower "lip". I've seen people stack 2x4's and others pour concrete lips, which I was going to do. My question about the lip is: how do you fasten it to the cement floor?

Just to verify that I have this right:

-pull out old pan
-put in a drain
-lay cement flooring at a downward angle leaving the drain top 1/4" higher than the 2" pan (meaning the edges taper down to the drain, but still leave the drain a bit higher allowing for tile)
-roll some redguard on there and proceed to tile?

I know that there are more specific steps that I'm going to follow but is that generally the way to get it done?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-14, 03:52 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Here is some excellent reading on setting up your shower. The instructional is on a wood subfloor, but you can get the gist of the correct procedures. I would be hesitant to attempt a shower pan with just Redgard and not a shower pan liner. How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: