Vinyl Tile Bathtub Surround - I Did It!!

Old 05-24-14, 04:48 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Tile Bathtub Surround - I Did It!!

I had an idea a few months ago to use vinyl tiles to cover a bathtub surround. I googled to find out who had already done this and I found this site. Needless to say, one of the first threads I read didn't support the idea. I want to share my story because I took the plunge and have a very positive result. I recently replaced our builder grade white and yellowing master bath counters with granite. A professional install. This made the garden tub with white builder grade surround quite an eye sore. The builder didn't continue the 18x18 ceramic floor tiles onto the surround. I didn't want to mess with heavy ceramic tiles and deal with cutting them. Then I had an idea. Why not vinyl tiles? I bought slate-look, self-stick vinyl tiles, 12x12 size, colored and sanded grout, colored and sanded caulk, and spacers. I didn't sand or prime the surface. I stuck the tiles on the surface using spacers to reserve space for the grout. I cut tiles to fit where necessary using a straight edge to score and snap apart. Once all were installed I used several grout and caulk tubes to finish the job. Easy peasy. The faux slate vinyl tiles are an exact match to our existing 18x18 ceramic floor tiles. It's just beautiful. The whole job cost $30. No problems. Since this is a bathtub "surround" with little to no contact with water or moisture, water damage isn't a concern. By the way, I'm installing this same material in the guest bath/shower combination. For that job I'm adding vinyl tile adhesive to each tile since it will be exposed to moisture. No worries. For $30 what do I have to lose? $30! Worth the risk.

Attached Images  
Old 05-25-14, 09:46 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You have achieved nothing more than a feel good accomplishment. The glue on the vinyl tile will most likely soften if you take a hot bath. Any splash, even getting into and out of the tub will get behind eventually.

Not even going to comment on using it for shower walls. Have fun getting the adhesive residue off the walls when you have to redo and try plan B.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: